Dan Shout is a respected jazz musician based in Cape Town, South Africa. His professional career spans more than 20 years, having participated with a multitude of local and international performances.
Born in Zimbabwe and raised in Namibia, where he took recorder and piano lessons at Oranjemund Primary School, Dan’s official musical journey started when he studied clarinet, piano and saxophone at South African College School (SACS) in Cape Town.
In 1999, he enrolled at the South African College of Music at the University Of Cape Town, where he studied classical clarinet and jazz saxophone.
During the course of his undergraduate degree (1999 – 2002) Dan performed with a number of ensembles including, his own band, Five of a Kind Jazz Quintet, the UCT Big Band, Mike Campbell Big Band, The Cape Town Jazz Orchestra, Mike McCullagh, The Spier Summer Orchestra, Darryl Andrews Band, V.J.R. Big Band, and Golliwog.
Together with Paul Sedres, he presented “The Inner Circle”, a weekly Jazz Radio show on Fine Music Radio.
Youth Band Participation
As an aspiring jazz musician, various accolades came Dan’s way: he was selected to join the South African National Youth Big Band in 2001 (conducted by Mike Campbell) and 2002 (conducted by Kevin Davidson), as well as the South African National Youth Bands in 2003 (conducted by Darius Brubeck) and 2004 (conducted by Carlo Mombelli).
He toured South Africa with global funk phenomenon Golliwog, performing at top South African festivals and venues such as Oppi Koppi, Splashy Fen, Tuks Festival, Flux Festival, Carfax, Tings ‘n Times, 206 and the Cape Town North Sea Jazz Festival. Golliwog also featured on live South African TV shows such as Phat Joe Live.
Dan graduated with a Bachelor of Music in 2002 and accepted a permanent teaching post at his alma mater, SACS, for two years.
In 2005, he returned to UCT to undertake a Masters degree in Jazz Performance and Jazz Analysis. During this period, he continued to perform around South Africa with many of the aforementioned bands, as well as at corporate functions and weddings with Tuxedo.
Dan was awarded his Master Degree (with distinction) in June 2006.
In addition to his work as a session musician, Dan lectured part-time at the South African College of Music at the University of Cape Town from 2009-2017, where he taught saxophone, Jazz Styles & Analysis, Improv, Jazz History and Jazz Ensemble. Furthermore, he presents workshops at jazz conferences and music stores, and does session work in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
In 2005, he travelled to Dubai (twice) to perform at top venues (including Madinah Jumeirah Resort and Trilogy) with DJ Charl Chaka. He also performed and recorded with many South African House Music legends over this period, including Shane Manne, Craig de Sousa, Dino Moran, Shaun Duvet, Leighton Moody, Charl Chaka, DJ Fresh, Dean Fuel, Roger Goode, Shaun Bauer, AK47 and Boogieman.
Shortly after graduating, Dan joined Johnny Clegg’s band, taking the post of alto and soprano saxophones, keyboard and backing vocals.
During his seven year career with Clegg, Dan performed both locally and internationally in Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Kenya, Reunion, France, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Czech, Hungary, Spain, Corsica, Luxembourg, Sweden, England, Tunisia, Morocco, The Emirates, Seychelles, French West Indies, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and United States of America.
These performances included venues and festivals as well as numerous live television and radio broadcasts.
Dan resigned from Clegg’s band in 2013 to concentrate on his career as a session musician.
The Last Decade
In 2010 “Magic Carpet Ride” was created and led by Craig de Sousa and Nick Matthews. The project featured Standard Bank Young Jazz Artist of the year 2010 winner: Mel Scholtz on vocals. Other band members included guitarist Gorm Helfjord, Italian multi-instrumentalist Ricardo Moretti, vocalist R.J. Benajmin and Dan Shout on saxophone. Their debut album was a Magic Carpet Ride of African Acid-Jazz’ed, Lounge-infused beats.
Notable performances in 2010 include the South African Soccer World Cup Media Launch, PayPal, and for Peroni in Knysna and Plettenberg Bay. In 2011 they performed for the Expresso Breakfast Morning Show on SABC3, the J&B Met, and Peroni in Durban.
Film & Media Features
Dan performed saxophone for the sound track for the cinema release, “Felix” (composed and recorded by Murray Anderson of Milestone Studios).
SHOUT is Dan’s solo project: a jazz–fusion quartet. SHOUT has released two albums: “Greetings & Salutations” (2010) and “Serenading Ghosts” (2012).
“Serenading Ghosts” was recorded overnight in the famous Namibian ghost town Kolmanskop, outside Luderitz. SHOUT performed at the Standard Bank Jazz & Blues Café at the 2013 Grahamstown Festival.
Dan also played lead alto saxophone in Awesome Big Band at the 2013 Grahamstown Festival. The band featured a few of the world’s top musicians, including Steve Turre (USA), Bruce Cassidy (Canada) and Håkon Mjåset Johansen (Norway).
Dan features as a guest with a number of bands, such as the Frank Paco Art Ensemble, Gavin Minter Sestet, Boulevard Blues Band and The Hot Shots.
Events include a number of corporate functions, weddings and launches such as PlayBoy South Africa V.I.P. Launch: Club Voom Voom: Polana Kalk Bay; Tintswalo Atlantic; the Ryk Neethling Wine Launch at Val de Vie Estate in Franschhoek; performed and recorded with the Cape Town Tango Ensemble, Shoprite 2012 Annual Gala Dinner (lead by musical director, James Bassingthwaighte); the 2013 Bidvest Annual Awards Dinner (under musical directorship of James Bassingthwaighte and Bryan Schimmel), and the 2013 Vodacom CEO Awards (under the musical directorship of Bryan Schimmel).
He regularly features as a guest artist with popular South African alternate bands The Rudimentals, 7th Son, Hog Hoggidy Hog and Dave Ledbetter and the Clearing.
Dan’s personal career highlights include:
- Performing with the South African National Youth Jazz Band at the North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague (2004);
Multitude of national and international performances with Johnny Clegg, including:
- The 2006 Soccer World Cup in Germany;
- Touring USA and Canada and performing several gigs with Ladysmith Black Mambazo (2012);
- The Montreal Jazz Festival and the Edmonton Folk Festival in Canada (2012);
- Meeting and performing for the Prince and Princess of Monaco at the Monaco Opera House (2012);
- 2007 Rugby World Cup in France;
- Nelson Mandela’s 46664 Concert at Ellis Park (2007);
- Performing for an audience of over 100 000 people at the Festival Rhythm Africaine in Bastille, Paris for Bastille Day (2007); and Festival Paleo in Nyon, Switzerland (2010);
- The Johnny Clegg 30th Anniversary (2010); and the
- Johnny Clegg “Human” tours to Australasia, France, U.S.A. and Canada (2011 and 2012) and
- With the multi grammy-award winning Maria Schneider and Ensemble Denade at Victora Jazz Club in Oslo and the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown in 2015.
Jazz Gigs of Note
The diverse musical influences that Dan has experienced throughout his life, coupled with the extensive touring and exposure to global styles, reveal themselves in Dan’s unique, original compositions.
- With trumpet, Gordon Vernick (U.S.A.) at the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown (2018).
- With saxophonist, Per Thornberg (Sweden) in Cape Town (January 2018).
- Trumpeter, Gordon Vernick (U.S.A.) at Evita se Perron (Darling) at Casa Labia Cultural Centre (Muizenberg) (2017).
- With Bruce Cassidy‘s Anti-Gravity Machine at the Bassline in Johannesburg (2016).
- With saxophonist, Frode Nymo (Norway) and trumpeter, Marcus Wyatt (S.A.) in Cape Town and Johannesburg (2016).
- Saxophonist, Paul Booth (U.K.) with Andrew Ford, Romy Brauteseth & Kevin Gibson at the Casa Labia Summer Jazz Concerts (2016).
- ‘In With a Shout” feat. Dean Masser & Steve Buckley (U.K.) at the 30th Wigan International Jazz Festival, England (2015).
- Wigan Jazz Club Dream Reunion Big Band conducted by Ian Darrington (MBE), Wigan International Jazz Festival, England (2015).
- ‘In With a Shout” at the Edinburgh International Jazz & Blues Festival, Scotland (2015).
- Edinburgh Jazz Festival Orchestra/Echoes of Ellington Big Band conducted by Pete Long at The Queen’s Hall, Edinburgh, Scotland (2015).
- Maria Schneider (U.S.A.) and Ensemble Denada (Norway) at Victoria Jazz Club in Oslo and the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown (2014).
- Double bassist, Yuri Goulabev (Russia), pianist, Mario Zara (Italy) and drummer, Jonno Sweetman (S.A.), at the Nassau Centre in Cape Town (2014).
- Dan Shout Quintet at Seven Arts in Leeds, England (2014).
- “In With a Shout” feat. Dean Masser & Munch Manship (U.K) at Wigan Jazz Club, England (2014)
- Singer/saxophonist, AJ Brown (U.K.) at the Nassau Centre (SA) and the Ripponden Town Hall in Halifax (U.K.) (2014).
- Trumpeter, Linley Hamilton (Ireland) at McHugh’s and the Belfast Opera House in Ireland (2014).
- Trumpeter, Gordon Vernick (U.S.A.), at the Mahogany Room and The Crypt jazz clubs in Cape Town, South Africa (2013 & 2014).
- Dan Shout Quintet at the Standard Bank Jazz & Blues Café at the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown, South Africa (2015)
- Lead alto with the Awesome Big Band featuring Steve Turre (U.S.A.), conducted by Bruce Cassidy (Canada) at the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown (2013).
- University of Cape Town/University of Kwazulu-Natal Jazz Octet lead by Darius Brubeck and Mike Rossi at the I.A.J.E. (International Association of Jazz Educators) in Long Beach, California (2005).
- South African National Youth Jazz Band at the North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague with Carlo Mombelli (2004).
JOHNNY CLEGG Gigs of Note
- Johnny Clegg “Human” tours to Australasia, France, U.S.A. and Canada (2011 and 2012)
- Meeting and performing for the Prince and Princess of Monaco at the Monaco Opera House (2012)
- Montreal Jazz Festival in Canada (2012)
- Festival Paleo in Nyon, Switzerland (2010)
- With Juluka and Savuka for the Johnny Clegg 30th Anniversary Concerts (2010)
- Festival Rhythm Africaine in Bastille, Paris for Bastille Day (2007)
- Nelson Mandela’s 46664 Concert at Ellis Park (2007)
- Rugby World Cup in France (2007)
- Soccer World Cup in Germany (2006)
Corporate Work & Session Musician
- The Vodacom CEO Awards at Vodaworld conducted by Bryan Schimmel (2016 & 2015).
- Jonathan Roxmouth’s ‘From the Footlights’ show at Montecasino conducted by Bryan Schimmel, Johannesburg (2015).
- The annual Bidvest Corporate Event at the Sandton Convention Centre conducted by Bryan Schimmel, feat. Amra Faye-Wright and Christina Bianco (2015).
- The South African Presidential Inauguration Cultural Concert at the Union Buildings in Pretoria conducted by James Bassingthwaighte (2014).
- The annual Bidvest Corporate Event at the Sandton Convention Centre conducted by Bryan Schimmel (2014).
- The annual Bidvest Corporate Event at the Sandton Convention Centre conducted by Bryan Schimmel and James Bassingthwaighte (2013).
Solo Album Recordings
- “In With a Shout” – Dan Shout, SMC003 (2014)
- “Serenading Ghosts” – SHOUT, SMC002 (2012)
- “Greetings & Salutations” – Dan Shout, SMC001 (2010)
Solo Performance Recordings
- Comp./Arr. & played the horn parts on “Jump Blues” by Gerald Clarke. “AfroBoer and the Golden Goose”. (2015)
- Co-Comp./Arr. & played the horn parts on “Cowboys Don’t Cry” by AJ Brown (U.K.). “Made For You”. (2015)
- “In the Red” – The Blues Broers. GR007CD, Guava Records. (2014)
- “Tango Dreams” – Cape Town Tango Ensemble. GMW04 (2014)
- “Felix – The Movie” Soundtrack (2013)
- “Magic Carpet Ride”. Magic Carpet Ride (2011)
- “UCT Jazz 2010 – Conceptions”. CD STR 103 (2011)
- “Dinosaur”. Jax Panic (2010)
- “Lisa Bauer” EP (2008)
- “Simplicity” – Bedrock. Criminal Records (2008)
- “Mozambique Fashion Week” CD by Dino Moran.
- “The Rudimentals LIVE @ Kirstenbosch” CD & DVD (2007)
- “Johnny Clegg ONE LIFE live at the Nelson Mandela Theatre” CD & DVD (2007)
- “UCT Jazz – Full Spectrum”. (“The Poem” comp. & arr. Mike Campbell)
- “Lost in Time” feat. Sakhile Moleshe.
- “Cafe d’Afrique 3” Compilation – “New Jazz Nigeria” by Moran Moretti. DGR1650.
- “Tattoo Bar” Compilation – “Kickin that Funk” by DJ AK47/feat. Boogieman on vocals, Dan Shout on sax. OGCJM.
- “Aunty Trish” by Hog Hoggidy Hog on their album “Oink”. Bowline Music. FI000829.
- “Cape of Storms (live)” by Golliwog (Independent Artist). Tassenberg All Stars – Live @ The Tassenberg Wingerdstok. TRIP 017, BOW 014.
- “Mattress Mambo” by Golliwog (Independent Artist). SL Magazine Selection 10 Compilation; SL 2003.
- “Nasty” by Golliwog (Independent Artist). SL Magazine Selection 4 Compilation: SL August 2002.
- “Desperado” by The Eagles. Bedrock “La Cantina”. Criminal Records (2000)